Sunday, October 18, 2009

The Secret of a Confabulation


"Two Sides of Me" by Dar Freeland
images & text © 1997-2011 Dar Freeland | all rights reserved

I discovered myself fortunate enough for someone to share a secret with me today. The friend looks deeply into the mirror each day and knows self so well, yet after a long struggle uphill, they confessed to having seen not only a funny new "love" which isn't really so....but also a hostile and confusing place called "the world out there."

The friend told me "If I go one place, I find that the people closest to me act the most intimate with me, but they do not respect me. If I go to the other place, I find that the people closest to me are kind and filled with respect for our relationship, yet they lack depth and closeness and will not be intimate." We scratched our heads. The friend continued - "is it that the people in the first place who act intimate, see me as a person they cannot respect? (and that was explored to the depths)...or is it that the people in the other place who respect me, simply don't know me?" (that too was examined)

Blank stare and some silence.

"Is it that the ones who do not respect me are blinded by a narcissistic obsession with self, and can see me only as a mirror of their own wounds - don't even really take the time to figure who I am?...and the friends who would say we are friends in the other place, could it be that they don't feel safe or worthy to open their hearts to be intimate with anyone?"

We sat in the sun for a time and breathed. Then we exhaled and did it again. We shook our heads. And we made it through one more day.

--dar freeland
faceupstudio.com

1 comment: